By: Debbie Page
We’ve all heard the phrase, “Your fortune is in the follow up,” which is then immediately followed by,
“Yeah but I don’t want to be sales-y.” Brace yourself friends, I need to tell you something straight and it might sting.
Get over yourself.
One of my great business colleagues says, “Sales is an act of love,” and if you are passionate about what you do and know that it provides great value to your ideal client then it is your obligation to follow up.
Research shows that 80% of sales are made after the 5th follow up. How many times do you follow up? Once? Twice? You are losing money if you do not have a documented and repeatable system to follow up 5 times or more, with people who have expressed interest in your products/services.
You also need to have more in your follow up than, “Are you ready to buy?” This is where the documented follow up system fits in.
Here are 5 steps to include in your sales follow up process:
- It’s totally appropriate to make your first follow up about checking in to see if the prospect has any questions or is ready to move ahead.
- The second time you follow up reference what they mention they need to attend to before they start working with you.
- The third time share something they might find valuable as it relates to their business, an article a blog post (written by you is fine or by someone else) or a tool that you think they or their clients might find useful.
- The fourth time, send them a handwritten note with a $5 coffee card inside and a note that says, “I know you have been working hard, take a break today – coffee is on me.
- The fifth time call them. Yes, I said call them. No need to schedule an appointment. Just pick up the phone and give them a ring. “Hi Jack, Liz Lemon here. I was just thinking of you and ratings season and wanted to wish you the best. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get that Emmy this year.”
Any of this seem sales-y? Not at all.
Keeping yourself top of mind will keep you in line when your ideal customer is ready to invest with you.
Create a documented sales follow up system and plan that you and everyone on your team follows EVERY time a prospect enters into conversation with you. Having a documented plan that is executed can increase your revenue by 50% or more.
What would an additional 50% in revenue do for you and your business?
Learn more marketing tips from Debbie at Biz Fair on September 30.